Four residents of the Oakmont of Villa Capri senior living facility in Santa Rosa filed a lawsuit Monday alleging that staff abandoned at least a third of the nearly 70 residents under their care during the deadly firestorms that raged through Sonoma County last month.
The seniors escaped only because the families of two of the women “made herculean efforts to ensure that all of the residents they could find got out of the building,” according to the suit.
Villa Capri was destroyed in the Tubbs fire, which broke out the night of Oct. 8 and leveled more than 4,600 homes. The facility is operated by Oakmont Senior Living, founded by developer Bill Gallaher, and managed by Oakmont Management Group. The two companies, along with Villa Capri, are listed as defendants in the suit.
Oakmont Management Group officials and attorneys did not respond to telephone calls and emails requesting comment Monday afternoon. In a statement last month when similar allegations first surfaced, the company said public safety agencies prevented staff from returning to the building to evacuate remaining residents during the fires.
The state Department of Social Services has already launched a formal investigation of the evacuations from Villa Capri and the adjoining Varenna complex. The agency is also reviewing the evacuations of all licensed care facilities whose residents were displaced by the wildfires. The investigation was still ongoing Monday, said department spokesman Michael Weston.
The lawsuit, filed Monday in Sonoma County Superior Court, revealed new allegations about the chaos that unfolded as flames approached the Fountaingrove Parkway complex and families sought to rescue their elderly parents inside.
It alleges Oakmont staff abandoned plaintiffs Elizabeth Budow, Alice Eurotas, Virginia Gunn and Helen Allen during the fire, as well as “other residents in wheelchairs, and other residents with dementia who were physically and cognitively incapable of escaping a burning building without assistance.”
“I have been doing elder abuse cases since 1987,” said Kathryn Stebner, an attorney for the four women. “This is one of the worst cases of its kind.”
The lawsuit alleges only three staff members were working at Villa Capri the night of the fire to care for more than 70 elderly and disabled residents, including “a few dozen” with dementia in a locked unit.
The building began to fill with smoke around 12:30 a.m., but staff turned off fire alarms and did not wake residents to collect their belongings or begin to evacuate, according to the lawsuit.
Most residents were still in their beds at 2 a.m. when Allen’s son, Mark Allen, and his wife, Kathy, arrived to check on her, according to the suit. “The facility had no power and there were no back-up generators in use, nobody had access keys to the Oakmont vans parked at the Facility which could have been used to evacuate the residents, and nobody was in contact with the Executive Director of the Facility during this emergency,” the suit said.
Using the light from their cellphones, Allen and his wife began to awaken the residents and bring them to the lobby. They were soon joined by Gunn’s daughter, Melissa Lenghals, who came to check on her.
A bus and a van from another Oakmont facility arrived around 3 a.m. but could not hold everyone, leaving “at least a few dozen” residents behind, according to the suit. Allen drove his mother and six other residents down the hill, while a staff member took several others in her Jeep, the suit said.
Read all of the PD's fire coverage here