SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — A Northern California Catholic bishop released the names of 15 priests found to have been credibly accused of sexually abusing children within the diocese.
The Mercury News of San Jose reports San Jose Bishop Patrick McGrath released the names Thursday. He said the sexual abuse of children and young people is a sin.
The diocese said 10 of the 15 are dead and the remaining have been permanently banned from the ministry.
Eight of the 15 had already been identified publicly through court cases and news reports.
Dioceses across California and the U.S. are disclosing names as part of an effort by church leaders to reassure parishioners following a stunning August report by Pennsylvania authorities.
The report detailed extensive efforts to cover up decades of abuse involving clergy and children.
Information from: San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News, http://www.mercurynews.com