Emergency crews clear hydrochloric acid from Santa Rosa road
Hazmat crews cleared Tuesday morning a corrosive substance from a northeast Santa Rosa road.
Santa Rosa firefighters received a report at 7 a.m. of a smoking liquid on Cross Creek Road near Skyfarm Drive, a residential street off of Mark West Springs Road, the Santa Rosa Fire Department said in a social media post.
Crews determined the liquid was hydrochloric acid, a colorless substance with a pungent odor. It reacts with metals and can cause respiratory irritation and severe chemical burns.
The substance, which is commonly used for pool maintenance and cleaning, came from a plastic tub that likely fell from a moving car before spilling on the roadway, Santa Rosa Assistant Fire Marshal Paul Lowenthal said.
Firefighters dumped 10 pounds of baking soda on the liquid, which made it safe to handle, and the acid was cleared from the roadway, Lowenthal said.
You can reach Staff Writer Nashelly Chavez at 707-521-5203 or email@example.com. On Twitter @nashellytweets.