Official: Healdsburg grass fire sparked by ashes
A property owner on rural Mill Creek Road in the hills east of Healdsburg on Monday apparently sparked a small grass fire by disposing of ashes without dousing them, a Healdsburg fire official said Tuesday.
Firefighters from four agencies responded to the 2:20 p.m. vegetation fire, which burned less than half an acre.
Apparently, ashes from a barbecue were placed on a pile that already had been burned. The man told fire officials he typically douses them but this time he forgot and the ashes blew into nearby trees, sparking the small fire, said Linda Collister, fire marshal for Healdsburg fire.
Collister warned that residents need to be vigilant regarding the dry conditions and anything fire related, such as disposing of barbecue or fireplace ashes.
Responders included several engines and water tanks from Cal Fire, Healdsburg, Cloverdale and Forestville fire agencies.