Choice should be easy
EDITOR: “Come on, give him a chance” was the plaintive cry we heard from Donald Trump supporters in the weeks and months following his election. Well, do these people now see what we all saw prior to this inept man-child being elected to the highest office on earth?
This man is a liar, a narcissist and totally overwhelmed by the job. He defends a predator like himself, tweets racist propaganda from nationalists, takes conflicting and contradictory positions on everything and makes us the laughing stock of the world, while losing credibility for America in any future negotiations.
Now are you ready to accept the mistake you made last November? Or is it still too early? According to a story in The Press Democrat, Republicans are now going after Medicare and Social Security.
I can only hope that the lessons are learned. By the progressives, too. The choice next November should be easy. See a “D” before the name? Check that box.
For the sake of your country. Let’s MAGA the right way this time.
EDITOR: We should be gravely concerned about the pending tax bill. The Senate bill only benefits wealthy corporations and the wealthiest (1 percent) of our country. Medicare and Social Security funds will probably be significantly diminished to offset these tax cuts and approximately 13 million people will lose their health care benefits.
Advocates of this bill say it will stimulate our economy by creating more jobs and tax breaks for all. This is not true. There is overwhelming consensus from virtually all economists that this bill will neither create new jobs nor lessen our tax burden. As a matter of fact. the hardest hit will be our lower income citizens.
And our country will go into debt by $1 trillion more. This is being done to “thank’ wealthy donors who gave millions of dollars to senators and congressmen. Our elected officials should and must be responsive to all of their constituents. not just to the 1 percent of the wealthiest of Americans. Regardless of your party affiliation, you should be outraged. Don’t wait until you see your taxes go up. Call or write your representatives and demand tax reform that is fair to us, the other 99 percent of Americans.
CAROL and STEVE WEIS
Separate private schools
EDITOR: What a surprise. Cardinal Newman vs. Marin Catholic for the NCS football championship. Even less surprising? Newman and Marin Catholic dominated every team it played in their respective leagues this year (except Rancho Cotate which came close to Newman but still didn’t win.)
When will the powers that be in high school sports admit that private schools have an overwhelming advantage over public schools and should play in their own leagues and have their own divisions for sectional and state championship playoffs? This is a statewide reality, not just the North Bay’s.
Why should public schools have to stand by defeated while clearly superior and talent-laden private school programs dominate the leagues and playoffs at practically every sport, both boys and girls? The evidence shouts out for private schools and public schools to be in different leagues and in different playoff brackets. Anyone who says otherwise has not been paying attention to high school sports for the last 20 years or is in denial.