Beer lovers from all over are expected to descend on Santa Rosa on Friday for Russian River Brewing Co.'s once-a-year limited release of its coveted Pliny the Younger triple IPA.
Here are some essential things to know before lining up outside the downtown pub.
Release date: Friday, Feb. 2 through Feb. 15
Address: 725 4th St. Santa Rosa
Doors open: 11 a.m.
History: Even though Pliny the Younger was first tapped in 2005, mobs didn’t start crashing the party until 2010 when Beer Advocate ratings crowned it the No. 1 beer in the world. That same year, Russian River Brewing Co. owners Vinnie and Natalie Cilurzo were totally blindsided and sold out in hours. By now, they have the hoppy two-week procession down to a science.
Here are the rules (or regula, in Pliny’s Latin):
- Pub capacity is 135 people.
- Once you’ve braved the lines, you can hang in the pub for no more than three hours with a max of three 10-ounce pours per person.
- Pliny is never bottled or sold in growlers.
- No drinking or smoking while in line No tents allowed, but chairs, umbrellas and rain gear (it’s been known to rain in February) are encouraged.
- No cuts (unless you’re one of the 14 daily line-cutting raffle winners who contributed $25 per raffle ticket in a fundraiser sponsored by the brewery following the October wildfires)
For more information on Russian River Brewing go here