We don't just cover the North Bay. We live here.
Did You Know? In the first 10 days of the North Bay fire, nearly 1.5 million people used their mobile devices to visit our sites.
Already a subscriber?
Wow! You read a lot!
Reading enhances confidence, empathy, decision-making, and overall life satisfaction. Keep it up! Subscribe.
Already a subscriber?
Oops, you're out of free articles.
Until next month, you can always look over someone's shoulder at the coffee shop.
Already a subscriber?
We don't just cover the North Bay. We live here.
Did You Know? In the first 10 days of the North Bay fire, we posted 390 stories about the fire. And they were shared nearly 137,000 times.
Already a subscriber?
Supporting the community that supports us.
Obviously you value quality local journalism. Thank you.
Already a subscriber?
Oops, you're out of free articles.
We miss you already! (Subscriptions start at just 99 cents.)
Already a subscriber?

How to help

A GoFundMe account has been set up to help with Edrick Zanga’s family with funeral expenses. To donate, go here.

From his boyhood in the Democratic Republic of Congo until earlier his month, joy radiated from Edrick Zanga as he ran in pursuit of the ball on a soccer pitch.

“That was his passion,” said his wife, Chanda Zanga.

A health industry accountant, human rights activist and father of four, Edrick Zanga was playing indoor soccer in Santa Rosa on Jan. 5 when, well into the game, he told members of his over-30 team he needed a rest. He suffered an apparent heart attack while sitting on the bench and died a short time later despite efforts to revive him. Zanga, who came to the United States in 1992 and since 2000 lived in Santa Rosa, was 52.

He was well known in adult soccer circles in Sonoma County and at the Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation in Santa Rosa. He worked for several years in payroll and accounting for the regional Sutter system, having started with Marin General Hospital.

Zanga also spoke to students about the bloodshed and widespread abuses and suffering in his homeland in central Africa.

The International Rescue Committee estimates that since 2008, armed conflict in Congo has cost about 5.4 million lives, many from disease and malnutrition.

Zanga’s wife said that in addition to his love for his family and soccer, “he was passionate as well about the world.”

He was born in 1964 in the capital city of Kinshasa.

“His dad was a teacher. His mother was a stay-at-home mom,” Chanda Zanga said. “He liked school a lot. He was one of the standout kids, a very smart kid.”

Edrick Zanga studied in Congo to become an accountant but found no work in his chosen field.

So he sold women’s shoes and saved the money he would need to leave his nation of birth for someplace offering greater opportunity — he envisioned emigrating to South Africa.

Just short of age 30, he left Congo for Botswana, where he applied to a settlement program. It was there he met his future wife.

Unexpectedly, an opportunity arose for them to settle in America. Edrick Zanga left Africa first, in 1992. He arrived in Portland, Maine, and tried to begin a new life there. But he could not tolerate the New England winter.

“He couldn’t stand the cold,” Chanda Zanga said.

He came with a friend to California and found a place to live in San Francisco.

Already speaking Lingala, French and parts of African dialects, he studied English at City College of San Francisco. He wife joined him in San Francisco in 1993.

Zanga worked nights at a gas station while earning a degree in business administration from Golden Gate University.

In 1998, he and Chandra moved from San Francisco to Petaluma. They moved with their growing family to Santa Rosa two years later.

Nearly all the while, Zanga played soccer. He enjoyed pickup games in San Francisco and in Santa Rosa co-founded with some friends from Africa the Safari Football Club.

For several years he played, coached and managed.

Knee problems forced him to take a break for a couple of years, but not long ago he returned to the game and to an over-50 team.

“He was feeling good,” Chanda Zanga said. “He was excited to get back to playing with the guys.”

The game Jan. 5 at Santa Rosa’s new Epicenter sports and leisure center was in the first half when Zanga told teammates he needed a substitution and left the pitch to sit on a bench.

At half time, players found him on the floor.

Efforts to resuscitate him failed, and he was pronounced dead a short while later at the Kaiser Permanent Santa Rosa Medical Center.

Daughter Diyavava, 22, said her father was a “very disciplined and positive” man who “always had a plan for whatever he was doing. He was always looking two, three steps ahead.”

Son Kialanda, 14, said he could always count on his dad to keep his word.

“No matter how long it took,” he said, “he always kept his word.”

In addition to his wife, daughter and son in Santa Rosa, Zanga is survived by two daughters, Lorianne and Lindeza, both of Santa Rosa; three sisters, Maya Zanga of Rohnert Park, Yasmine Zanga and Saraphin Mantua, both of Congo; and two brothers, Dimonekene Vanga of Santa Rosa and Noor Zanga of Congo.

Services on Saturday will begin at 1:30 p.m., with prayer at Eggen & Lance Chapel and will continue at 2:30 p.m. at Santa Rosa Memorial Park.

A crowdfunding appeal has been created to help Zanga’s family with funeral expenses. It is at gofundme.com/zanga-family.

Also, account number 518138 has been opened at Redwood Credit Union for the benefit of the family.

Show Comment