Fireplace ashes set a house on fire in west Santa Rosa early Wednesday, displacing residents and their three cats, according to a Santa Rosa fire official.
Several people began calling at 12:40 a.m. to report flames outside the Jennings Avenue home, according to fire dispatch reports. A neighbor reported hearing a strange noise and got up to investigate, finding flames at the nearby home. He alerted the two residents to the fire and helped them outside, said Santa Rosa Battalion Chief Mark Basque.
Santa Rosa firefighters had the flames under control in 30 minutes and kept the fire from pushing into the home, limiting damage to the exterior wall, a section of garage and half of the attic, Basque said. He estimated damage at $100,000.
Firefighters working inside the house found the couple’s three cats and got them out.
The cause appeared accidental. Preliminarily, the investigation pointed to ashes placed just outside the residence, Basque said.
The Red Cross was called to help the couple and their cats.