Fire sparked by improperly discarded cigarettes caused about $125,000 in damage Monday to an east Santa Rosa house and displaced its three occupants, firefighters said.

The blaze was reported just after 6 p.m. at a single-story house in the 1000 block of Cornell Drive near Bennett Valley, said Mark Basque, Santa Rosa fire battalion chief.

Firefighters arrived within four minutes and saw flames shooting from a back bedroom window. The only person home at the time was able to escape and call 911.

It was contained within 20 minutes. Damage extended to the front entry and included smoke damage throughout the house.

The cause appeared to be accidental.

You can reach Staff Writer Paul Payne at 707-521-5250 or paul.payne@pressdemocrat.com. On Twitter @ppayne.