OAKLAND — Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis confirmed he has met with San Antonio officials but declined to disclose whether he has any interest in relocating the franchise to Texas.
"Former San Antonio mayor Henry Cisneros is a friend, and Henry suggested I take the opportunity to meet with some city officials while I was in town," Davis said in a statement Tuesday night. "I have nothing further to discuss on the topic."
The San Antonio Express-News reported that Davis met on July 18 with Cisneros, then-Mayor Julian Castro, City Manager Sheryl Sculley and the president of the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce to discuss potentially moving the Raiders from Oakland to San Antonio.
The newspaper said Sculley issued a memo to the City Council on Tuesday elaborating on the meeting.
"I was asked to meet two weeks ago with the owner of the Oakland Raiders, Mark Davis, and members of his staff. Mr. Davis has expressed interest in a possible relocation of his NFL team to San Antonio and we are engaged in preliminary due diligence," she wrote, according to the Express-News. "The agenda for this visit included a tour of the Alamodome and meetings with local business leaders."
The newspaper reported that the Alamodome could serve as a temporary home until a new stadium is built for the Raiders.
The Raiders are in the final season of their lease in Oakland. Davis has said that his preference is to build a new stadium on the current Coliseum site, which has been further complicated by the recent 10-year lease agreement by the Athletics to remain in Oakland. But the A's agreement includes a provision to allow the Raiders to knock down the Coliseum for a new football stadium.
Davis told the Bay Area News Group by phone Tuesday night that he was in San Antonio with close friend and former Raiders wide receiver Cliff Branch, who was being inducted into a local hall of fame.
The Raiders played in Oakland from 1960 to 1981 before moving to Los Angeles in 1982. Late owner Al Davis moved the Raiders back to Oakland in 1995.
Any move now would require approval from 24 of the 32 NFL owners.
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told reporters at the team's training camp in Oxnard, California, that he "didn't make much" of the meeting. Dallas is about a 275-mile drive from San Antonio.
"What I will say," Jones said, "is San Antonio is very important to the Dallas Cowboys."
Information from: San Antonio Express-News, http://www.mysanantonio.com
(Seedings in parentheses)
(8) Tamalpais 52, (9) Windsor 50
(7) Redwood 46, (10) Montgomery 39
(4) Alameda 59, (13) Cardinal Newman 44
(12) Hayward 59, (5) Piner 48
(4) San Rafael 46, (13) Analy 35
(3) Drake 44, (14) Sonoma Valley 38
All tipoffs 7 p.m. unless noted
(7) Healdsburg vs. (10) McKinleyville
(8) Kelseyville vs. (9) Fortuna
(14) Middletown at (3) Stuart Hall, 5:30 p.m.
(15) Rincon Valley Christian at (2) St. Patrick/St. Vincent
(7) Clear Lake vs. (10) Bentley, 5:30 p.m.
(8) Cloverdale vs. (9) Head-Royce, 5:30 p.m.
(14) Sonoma Academy at (3) Urban, 5:30 p.m.
(15) Upper Lake vs. (2) Branson at College of Marin
(1) Laytonville vs. (16) El Sobrante Christian
(3) Mendocino vs. (14) Round Valley
(5) Rio Lindo Adventist vs. (12) Patten Academy
(7) Rincon Valley Christian vs. (10) South Fork
(11) Point Arena at (6) SF Waldorf
(13) Archbishop Hanna at (4) Jewish Community
(15) Anderson Valley at (2) Cornerstone Christian
(3) Montgomery 71, (14) Rancho Cotate 46
(6) Ukiah 59, (11) Acalanes 47
(8) Casa Grande 45, (9) Petaluma 38
(2) Cardinal Newman 92, (15) Las Lomas 27
(4) Campolindo 72, (13) Sonoma Valley 37
(3) Eureka 67, (14) Analy 45
(9) Healdsburg at (4) Marin Catholic
(11) Kelseyville at (6) Swett
(14) Fort Bragg at (3) Piedmont
(4) Clear Lake vs. (13) Redwood Christian
(5) Cloverdale vs. (12) Athenian
(10) Sonoma Academy at (6) Marin Academy
(1) Rincon Valley Christian, bye
(2) Laytonville, bye
(7) Calistoga vs. (10) Tomales
(8) Credo at (9) South Fork
(12) Mendocino vs. (5) El Sobrante Christian, 5:30 p.m.
(Seedings in parentheses)
All kickoffs 7 p.m. unless noted
(1) Montgomery vs. (4) Ygnacio Valley
(4) Rancho Cotate at (1) Miramonte
(1) Montgomery vs. (5) Livermore, 5:00
(2) Maria Carrillo vs. (6) Redwood at Santa Rosa High School
(1) Analy vs. (12) Ygnacio Valley
(4) Cardinal Newman at (1) Branson, 3 p.m.
(6) Sonoma Academy at (2) Piedmont