Classical music soaring through Wine Country this summer
There are two new chamber music festivals in Sonoma County this summer, including Chamberfest 2015, which runs through this weekend at Sonoma State University’s Green Music Center.
In addition, the Wine Country of Napa, Sonoma and Mendocino will also host a trio of classical festivals this summer, from the 10th annual Napa Valley Festival del Sole to the 29th annual Mendocino Music Festival. Here are the details on both the old and the new festivals:
- Chamberfest 2015: This new, five-day festival will be held Wednesday, June 24, through Sunday, June 28, at Schroeder Hall and Weill Hall at the Green Music Center, Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park. Tickets are $30. 1-866-955-6040 or gmc.sonoma.edu.
- Mendocino Music Festival: This 15-day festival of classical, jazz, world and blues music will be held from July 11 to 25 at various venues in Mendocino, including a big white tent on the Headlands. Highlights include Rossini’s “Barber of Seville” on July 17, guitarist Alex de Grassi on July 18, and a Festival Orchestra concert with opera singer Frederica von Stade on July 22. Tickets: $12 to $53, available at mendocinomusic.org.
- Napa Valley Festival del Sole: A blend of classical, opera, jazz and popular music, this nine-day festival July 17 to 26 celebrates its 10th year with a sparkling line-up of musicians, from opera singers Deborah Voigt and Frederica von Stade to the Russian National Orchestra. Wine, food, film and fitness round out the festival, which takes place at various venues up and down the Napa Valley. Tickets start at $39, and some events are free. Multi-day passes are also available. 888-337-6272 or festivaldelsole.org.
- Valley of the Moon Music Festival: This new festival, held over three weekends from July 19 to Aug. 2 at the Hanna Boys Center auditorium in Sonoma, is dedicated to performing Classical and Romantic music entirely on original instruments. Highlights include Schubert’s “Trout” Quintet and on July 25 and an all-Schubert program featuring the Schubert Cello Quintet on July 26. There is a free apprentice chamber concert at 7:30 p.m. July 31, but most concerts are held at 4 p.m. Tickets: $40 general, $20 for under 30. 1-888-596-1027 or valleyofthemoonmusicfestival.org.
- Music in the Vineyards: This chamber music festival will be held July 31 to Aug. 23 at various wineries and other venues throughout the Napa Valley, from Clos Pegase in Calistoga to Silverado Vineyards in Napa. Highlights include the opening concert July 31 featuring pianist Jon Kimura Parker, an all-Schubert program Aug. 1 followed by a three-course dinner, a Dvorak double bill Aug. 21, and a grand finale featuring the Schubert Quintet on Aug. 23. Tickets: $55 ($145-$275 for dinner). 258-5559 or musicinthevineyards.org.
Features, The Press Democrat
I’m interested in the home kitchen, from sheet-pan suppers to the latest food trends. Food encompasses the world, its many cultures, languages and history. It is both essential and sensual. I also have my fingers on the pulse of classical music in Sonoma County, from student mariachi bands to jazz crossover and symphonic sounds. It’s all a rich gumbo, redolent of the many cultures that make up our country and the world.