Owner of algae-afflicted dog recounts tragic trip on Russian River
Alfredo and Brooke Rudas floated down the Russian River last Saturday in a rented inflatable canoe, their 2-year-old golden retriever, Posie, jumping off the boat again and again to splash and play in the cool water.
The day was unfolding in the same relaxing fashion as the previous float trips the San Jose couple had taken on the river. But suddenly, Posie started showing signs of distress.
In the boat, the dog appeared to suffer a seizure, her legs stiffening and catching in the folds of the canoe. When the dog’s eyes rolled back into her head, Brooke called out to her husband for help.
Moments later, the young dog began foaming at the mouth. Then, to the Rudas’ horror, she stopped breathing.
“We started paddling frantically as hard as we could,” Brooke said.
The San Jose woman on Friday provided the first public account of the circumstances surrounding the dog’s death, which in the days after the tragedy became the focus of an intense investigation into an outbreak of toxin-containing blue-green algae on the Russian River.
Tests ultimately confirmed the dog died of a lethal toxin produced by the algae, prompting Sonoma County public health officials on Friday to take the extraordinary step ahead of the busy Labor Day weekend of telling people to keep their pets away from the Russian River and its beaches.
One mystery that clouded response to the algae outbreak was whether the dog that was the focus of the investigation had perhaps come into contact with algae somewhere other than the Russian River. That uncertainty now appears to be settled.
Brooke Rudas said she and her husband drove straight to the Russian River last Saturday morning from their home in San Jose. She said the only opportunity for Posie to come into contact with the algae was on the river that day.
Brooke, 28, is an accounting manager who works in Mountain View. Alfredo, 29, is the vice president of a startup.
Brooke, who spoke on the couple’s behalf, said they had been on float trips on the Russian River about five times prior to last Saturday’s excursion. They always brought Posie with them. “She loves the water, and we love seeing her happy,” Rudas said.
The couple had purchased the purebred golden retriever when she was 6 months old from a Gilroy couple who could no longer keep her. Photos provided by the couple show the dog embracing a loving household and pampered life. She even earned a spot on the couple’s bed at night.
Posie, who was fully vaccinated, wore a life jacket at the river to help keep her afloat. The San Jose couple brought bottled water and a bowl to keep her hydrated during last Saturday’s excursion.
When they paid for the canoe at Russian River Adventures, an employee alerted the couple to the algae outbreak. Rudas said the employee presented it as a minor worry, even under her questioning.
On Friday, a woman in the office at Russian River Adventures said owner Larry Laba was out of town and all questions were being referred to the county’s health department.
The company’s website had the following notice: “Due to the possible presence of toxic blue-green algae, and the recent death of one dog, we highly discourage dogs on our river trips until further notice. Any dog owner that chooses to bring their dog down the river is doing so with this knowledge.”