Penngrove church celebrating 120th birthday
The Penngrove Community Church will celebrate its 120th anniversary Aug. 19 with an open-air service followed by a barbecue. The Penngrove Community Church is an independent nondenominational church that serves Penngrove, Cotati, Rohnert Park and Petaluma.
Origins of the church can be traced to 1897 when the Thompson brothers came to Penngrove to hold revival meetings, which were held in a tent. Church meetings then moved to the Eagle School building at the corner of Adobe and what is now Petaluma Hill Road. Soon after, a lot was purchased from Mr. and Mrs. James F. Elphick for $50 per half-mile from the town of Penngrove, and the church was built.
It was in 1910, with church attendance dwindling, that the building was moved closer to the people. It was placed on rollers, and teams of horses pulled it to its present site on Oak Street.
In 1937, the church changed its denominational affiliation from Methodist Episcopal to Congregation Church, and the name was changed to the Penngrove Community Church.
The celebration service conducted by Pastor Roger Hoffman begins at 10:30 a.m., followed by the free barbecue at 12:30 p.m.
Reservations for the barbecue are required by Aug 15.
The church is located at 9970 Oak St. in Penngrove. For more information, call Kim Beary at 707-795-5519.